Thursday, January 15, 2015
FIR on Higher Education #26: Re-thinking how we Approach Media Training
Being in a foreign country and unable to speak the local language can be frustrating for many. On the other hand, knowledge of a local language usually opens up lots of new horizons and opportunities. The same is true for academics and how they communicate their expertise to public audiences. Many academics are uneasy about how to communicate to external audiences because they haven’t been trained. Once media trained or through trial and error, this mindset changes. Academics can then leverage the opportunities of speaking to the traditional press, leveraging social media and creating content on owned platforms.
Episode 26 is a bit different than our usual show format. I just launched my new Media Training for Academics online course and share some of what I’ve learned in a discussion with our technology correspondent Harry Hawk. Among the topics we discuss:
- Why external communications matters for academics and the need for media training
- The flaws with typical infrequent media training workshops
- The pros and cons of an online format for media training
- Why trainings need to be integrated, covering owned (content you own on your platform), earned (media relations) and shared (social media) media.
- Why marketers and communicators need to think about creating online courses as a means to position their organization.
Get this Podcast:
- Download the MP3 file (16.2 MB / 33:37)
- Subscribe to “FIR on Higher Education with Kevin Anselmo RSS feed
- Get the show at iTunes
- Get the FIR app for your mobile device - iPhone | Android | Windows
If you enjoy the For Immediate Release on Higher Education podcast, please considering leaving a review, rating and subscribe at the following link (once at this page, click view in iTunes).
About Your Host
Kevin Anselmo is the Founder and Principal of Experiential Communications, a consultancy focused on education. He helps brands within academia - whether individual or corporate - communicate with stakeholders. He also is the creator and instructor of the Media Training for Academics online course.
Previously, Kevin was Director of Public Relations for Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business and prior to that managed the media relations for IMD Business School in Switzerland. In addition, he was an adjunct communications professor at Nyack College in New York.
Currently based in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, Kevin lived and worked in Switzerland for eight years and in Germany for two years. He has led public relations initiatives in various countries around the world.
Find Kevin on Twitter: @kevinanselmo.
Share your comments or questions about this podcast, or suggestions for future podcasts, in the online FIR Podcast Community on Google+.
FIR on Higher Education is brought to you with Lawrence Ragan Communications, serving communicators worldwide for 35 years. Information: www.ragan.com.